Articles in Juridica International
Priit Pikamäe, Jaan Sootak.
Die schuldhafte strafrechtliche Verantwortung der juristischen Person. Theoretische Grundlagen und estnische Gerichtspraxis, Juridica International, 2012, No. 1, pp. 154-160
Der Begriff des Vorsatzes im Strafrecht und die psychologische Behandlung des Willens, Juridica International, 2003, No. 1, pp. 80-88
Priit Pikamäe, Jaan Sootak.
Einheit der verfassungsmässigen Rechtsordnung: Entscheidungen und Lösungen im Strafrecht, Juridica International, 2002, No. 1, pp. 127-137
Articles in Juridica
- Professor Jaan Sootak’s Footprint in Reforming the Penal Law, Juridica Abstract, 2018, No. 10, pp. 773-777
- Congratulations on the Anniversary of the Penal Code, i.e. the Review of Laura Feldman’s Doctoral Thesis Justification of the Institution on the Abandonment of Attempts and the Limits of Applicability on Preliminary Criminal Operation, Juridica Abstract, 2017, No. 9, pp. 663-669
- How to Assign Death? On Some Problems Concerning the Imputability of Death Caused by Acts of Violence, Juridica Abstract, 2013, No. 8, pp. 565-577
- Difficulties in Defining the General Offence of Fraud in Court Practice, Juridica Abstract, 2011, No. 2, pp. 129-138
- Who is an Authorized Representative of a Legal Person for the Purposes of Section 14 of the Penal Code?, Juridica Abstract, 2010, No. 1, pp. 3-10
- A Selection of Decisions of the Criminal Chamber of the Supreme Court in the Interpretation and Development of Law, Juridica Abstract, 2009, No. 8, pp. 540-554
- State of Emotional Disturbance. Problems in Estonian Penal Law and Court Practice, Juridica Abstract, 2006, No. 9, pp. 591–600
- In Search of the Sources and Boundaries of Knowing. Problems in Penal Law Associated with Marking the Boundaries of Intent, Juridica Abstract, 2006, No. 4, pp. 262–272
- Problems With the Special Part of the Penal Code: Legal Policy Solutions and Future Development, Juridica Abstract, 2005, No. 2, pp. 84–93
- Defining Joint Offence: the Penal Code and the Case Law of the Supreme Court, Juridica Abstract, 2003, No. 3, pp. 143–150
- The Definition of Intent in Penal Law and the Psychological Treatment of Intention, Juridica Abstract, 2002, No. 2, pp. 75–81
- Deliberate Intent, and Direct and Indirect Intent in the Penal Code, Juridica Abstract, 2001, No. 7, pp. 456–463
- Attempted Offence and Abandonment of Attempt under the Penal Code, Juridica Abstract, 2001, No. 7, pp. 464–474
- Points of Departure for the New Estonian Code of Criminal Procedure, Juridica Abstract, 2000, No. 9, pp. 555–563
- International Criminal Court and Estonia, Juridica Abstract, 2000, No. 3, pp. 190–196
- Italian Criminal Procedure as a Possible Model for Reforming Estonian Criminal Procedure, Juridica Abstract, 1999, No. 2, pp. 82–86
- Criminal Law Eeform in Russia in 1996, Juridica Abstract, 1998, No. 5, pp. 235–238
- Estonia's Chances for Survival in the European Union, Juridica Abstract, 1995, No. 8, pp. 351–355
- Application of International Agreements in the Legal System of Estonia, Juridica Abstract, 1995, No. 8, pp. 343–344
- Legal Education in France, Juridica Abstract, 1995, No. 7, pp. 317–320
- Chief Justice, Supreme Court of the Republic of Estonia
- Born: November 22, 1973, Tallinn
- E-mail: email@example.com
- Doctor iuris, Faculty of Law, University of Tartu, 2006
- Magister iuris, Faculty of Law, University of Tartu, 2001
- Master Student, University of Tartu, 2000–2001
- B.A., University of Tartu, 1997
- Chief Justice, Supreme Court of the Republic of Estonia, 2013-current
- Justice, Supreme Court of the Republic of Estonia, 2005-2013
- Assistant (Part-time), Faculty of Law, University of Tartu, 2000–2004
- Head of Criminal Law Department, Ministry of Justice of the Republic of Estonia, 1996–current
- Head of 7. Bureau, Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Estonia, 1995–1996
- Head of Legal Department, Citizenship and Immigration Board, 1994
Main areas of research
- Intention in Criminal Law (Psychological Aspects), Alternatives of Criminal Procedure, Correctional Law
Grants and projects
- Estonian Science Foundation (ETF) Grant No. 3998 for Project: Estonian Penal Policy: from Totalitarian to Democratic Criminal Law. Grant holder J. Sootak with R. Antsmäe, J. Ginter, S. Laos, P. Randma, 1999–2000
Professional activity and membership
- Foreign Member of Editorial Board, Revue Pénitentiaire et de Droit Pénal. Éditions Cujas, Paris, 1999–current
- Founding Member of Estonian Association for Criminal Justice and Legal Protection of Financial Interests of the European Union, 1999–current
- Member of the Estonian Lawyers Union, 1993–current
- University of Paris I (Pantheon-Sorbonne) and University of Poitiers, France, 1997
- University of Poitiers, France, 1994–1995
Hobbies and community work
- General Part of Criminal Law (seminars)
- Code of Criminal Procedure. Commented Edition. Compiled by E. Kergandberg, P. Pikamäe. Tallinn: Juura, 2012. 1136 p. (in Estonian).
- Penal Code. Commented Edition. 3rd ed., compiled by P. Pikamäe, J. Sootak. Tallinn: Juura, 2009. 1144 p. (in Estonian).
- Penal Code. Commented Edition. 2nd ed., compiled by P. Pikamäe, J. Sootak. Tallinn: Juura, 2004. 892 p. (in Estonian).
- Penal Code. Commented Edition. Compiled by P. Pikamäe, J. Sootak. Tallinn: Juura, 2002. 772 p. (in Estonian).
- P. Pikamäe, J. Sootak. Estonian Criminal Law: Reform as a Path to Independence. – European Journal of Crime, Criminal Law and Criminal Justice (Kluwer Law International), 2000, Vol 8/1, pp. 61–78.
- M. Ernits, P. Pikamäe, E. Samson, J. Sootak. Draft General Part of the Penal Code. Points of Departure and Substantiation. Tallinn: Juura Õigusteabe AS, 1999, 166 p. (in Estonian).
- P. Pikamäe, J. Sootak. La reforme du droit pénal estonien: la voie vers l‘indépendance. – Revue Pénitentiaire et de Droit Pénal 1999 (Paris: Edition Cujas), No 2, pp. 193–216.
- Estonian (Native)
- French (Fluent)
- English (Good)
- Russian (Good)
- German (Fair)