Articles in Juridica International
Tasks and Responsibilities of an Employer in a Digital Age: How to Comply with the Applicable Requirements for Work Conditions, Juridica International, 2018, No. 1, pp. 79-87
Dear reader, Juridica International, 2018, No. 1, pp. 1-1
The Right to Collective Action in Labour Relations in Estonia: Is the Right to Organise a Strike Guaranteed?, Juridica International, 2014, No. 1, pp. 218-0
International Standards for Social Security and Their Fulfilment in Estonia: Changes in Pension and Health Insurance and Their Constitutionality, Juridica International, 2011, No. 1, pp. 27-34
Development of Contemporary Means of Communication and Their Efficiency of Use in Labour Relations, Juridica International, 2006, No. 1, pp. 129-135
Indispensability of the Law of Obligations in Employment Relationships: Problems in Application of the Law of Obligations to Employment Relationships in Estonia, Juridica International, 2005, No. 1, pp. 71-78
Why Do We Fear Civil Law in Labour Law?, Juridica International, 2001, No. 1, pp. 142-151
The Position of Labour Law in the Private Law System. The Past, Present and Future of Estonian Labour Law, Juridica International, 2000, No. 1, pp. 124-134
Freedom of Contract in Labour Relations, Juridica International, 1999, No. 1, pp. 179-188
European Social Security Law – Social Security System for Migrant Workers and Estonian Situation, Juridica International, 1998, No. 1, pp. 110-118
The Nature and Formation of Labour Law, Juridica International, 1997, No. 1, pp. 103-111
Scope of Application of Estonian Labour Legislation, Juridica International, 1996, No. 1, pp. 114-125
Articles in Juridica
- Specificities of Collective Employment Relationships and New Ways of Working, Juridica Abstract, 2020, No. 7, pp. 546-552
- University of Tartu School of Law – Challenges That Lie Ahead, Juridica Abstract, 2019, No. 6, pp. 387-390
- Dear Reader, Juridica Abstract, 2019, No. 1, pp. 1
- The Employment Contracts Act: How to Proceed or Security and Flexibility the Estonian Way?, Juridica Abstract, 2008, No. 1, pp. 24–28
- Representing Employers in Enterprises and Installations – Estonia’s Choices, Juridica Abstract, 2004, No. 10, pp. 688–699
- Changes in the Legal Regulation of Employment Contract Relations: Seeking Protection with the Aid of the European Union, Juridica Abstract, 2004, No. 8, pp. 550–559
- Employment Contracts Act and Changes in the Economic Environment, Juridica Abstract, 2003, No.10, pp. 694–696
- Basic Concepts of Individual Employment Law, Juridica Abstract, 2003, No.9, pp. 634–642
- Rules for Co-ordination of EU Social Insurance and the Pension Reform in Estonia, Juridica Abstract, 2002, No. 10, pp. 709–717
- Practice of German Labour Courts in Defining Employee, Juridica Abstract, 2000, No. 10, pp. 654–662
- Telework and Regulation of Employment Relations, Juridica Abstract, 2000, No. 2, pp. 93–99
- Social Security Law: Does It Exist? Juridica Abstract, 1999, No. 3, p. 151
- Issues Relating to the Concept of Employer, Juridica Abstract, 1999, No. 1, pp. 35–39
- Persons Who Work But Are Not Employees, Juridica Abstract, 1998, No. 3, pp. 138–143
- Possibilities for Legal Regulation of Employment Contracts, Juridica Abstract, 1998, No. 1, pp. 6–9
- Duties of Employees, Juridica Abstract, 1997, No. 4, pp. 181–182
- Nature and Evolution of Employment Law, Juridica Abstract, 1997, No. 4, pp. 166–172
- Employer in Estonian Labour Law, Juridica Abstract, 1995, No. 9, pp. 392–394
- Professor of Social Law, University of Tartu
Director, School of Law, University of Tartu
- Born: February 27, 1972, Lääne county
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Doctor iuris, University of Tartu, 2001
- Magister iuris, University of Tartu, 1996 (cum laude)
- Faculty of Law, University of Tartu, 1994 (cum laude)
- Director, School of Law, University of Tartu, 2019-current
- Vice Dean for Academic Affairs, Faculty of Social Sciences, University of Tartu, 2018
- Professor of Social Law, University of Tartu, 2016-current
- Associate Professor of Labor and Social Security Law, University of Tartu, 2003–2016
- Lecturer of Social Security Law, Faculty of Law, University of Tartu, 1996–2003
- Attorney at law 2005-current
- Lawyer, Foundation Tartu University Clinics, 1999–2000
- Lawyer, OÜ Pacta, 1996–1998
- Lecturer Extraordinary, Faculty of Law, University of Tartu, 1994–1996
- Lawyer, OÜ Vermo Kinnisvara, 1994–1996
Main areas of research
- Notions of Labour Law, History of Labour Law, Estonian and European Labour Law, Estonian and European Social Security Law, Social Protection of Migrant Workers
- European Social Security Coordination and its implications to the Estonian legal system
- Application of European Rules on Free Movement of Persons in European Union
Grants and projects
- Estonian Science Foundation (ETF) grant for project: Protection of a Individuals Rights in Litigation of Social Security Disputes, 2006
- Estonian Science Foundation (ETF) grant for project: The Legal Regulation of Social Protection of Migrant Workers in Estonia: Problems of Theory and Legal Practice. With M. Muda, 2001
- Estonian Science Foundation (ETF) grant, for project: Settlement of Disputes about Employment Contract. With I.-M. Orgo, M. Muda, T. Treier, 2000–2002
- Estonian Science Foundation (ETF) grant, for project: Theoretical Basics for Drawing up the Labour Code in the Process of Integration of Estonia into Europe. With I.-M. Orgo, M. Muda, H. Siigur, 1997–2000
Professional activity and membership
- Member of the MPI Soc.net – Ruess Network (General Principles of Social Security Law), 2006–current
- Member of the European Labour Law Network, 2005–current
- Member of the Estonian Bar Association, 2005–current
- Member of the Network for Free Movement of Workers, 2005–current
- Member of the Observatory for Free Movement of Workers, 2005–current
- Member of the Council of Faculty of Law, 2000–2003
- Member of Working Group for Reforming Estonian Labour Legislation, 1999–2004
- Founding Member of the Law Philosophy Society of Estonia, 1999–current
- Member of the Estonian Lawyers Union, 1999–current
- Member of Working Group for Drafting a Law on Gender Equality, 1999–2004
- Member of Governmental Commission for Family Policy, 1999–2000
- Member of Commission for Drafting the Employment Contracts Act,1996–current
- Member of Bioethics Committee of the University of Tartu, 1996–2000
- Member of Commission for Drafting the Trade Unions Act, 1996
- Member of Commission for Drafting the Courts Act,1994–1996
- Member of Commission for Drafting the Immovables Expropriation Act, 1993
Participation in scientific conferences and seminars
- Estonia – Finland Regional Joint Seminar on Free Movement of Workers, 2011, Tallinn, Estonia (oral presentation)
- Labour Market of 21st Century: Looking for Flexibility and Security, 2011, Vilnius, Lithuania (oral presentation)
- The European Network on Free Movement: Annual Conference on Free Movement of Workers, United Kingdom, November 2010
- 3rdAnnual Legal Seminar of the European Labour Law Network “Protection, Involvement and Adaptation– European Labour Law in Time of Crisis, Restructuring and Transition“ November 2010 Netherlands.
- The 2nd Annual Legal Seminar of the European Labour Law Network “Towards a New European Employment Relationship” - Problems, Differences and Challenges across the European Union , 2009 Germany
- IX European Congress for Labour Law and Social Security, Freiburg, Germany September, 2008
- International Congress for Labour Law and Social Security, France 2006
- Developments in Labour Law and Social Security, (oral presentation) Lithuania, Vilnius, 2006
- European Congrees for Labour Law and Social Security, Italy, September 2005
- Humboldt-Kolleg Colloquium (oral presentation), Istanbul, Turkey, October 2004
- International Congress of Labour Law and Social Security, Uruguay, September 2003
- Labour Law in United Europa (oral presentation) Vilnius, Lithuania, October 2003
- European Congress of Labour Law and Social Security Law, Sweden, 2002
- International Symposium: Legislation and Legal Policy. Written Presentation: The Position of Labour Law in Private Law System. Tartu, Estonia, September 28–October 1, 2000
- International Seminar Manifesto Sociale Europe. Presentation: Labour Law and European Harmonisation Process – The Case of Estonia. Central European University, Budapest, Hungary, November 17–19, 2000
- International Seminar: The Main Problems of Codification and Amendments in Estonian Labour Legislation. University of Tartu. Presentation: Legal Possibilities to Regulate Labour Relations. Tartu, Estonia, February 12–13, 1998
- EU Accession Process and Labour Law. Presentation: Area of application of Estonian Labour Law. Vilnius, Lithuania, December 10–11, 1998
- Women and Men in Dialogue – Baltic Nordic Conference. Presentation: Gender Equality in Labour Relations. Valmiera, Latvia, April 10–12, 1997
- Women and men in Dialogue – Baltic Nordic Conference. Presentation: Gender Equality and Legislation. Valmiera, Latvia, August 7–10, 1997
- The Problems of reforming labour legislation. Presentation: Problems Connected With the Area of Application of Labour Legislation. Tallinn, Estonia, November 16–18, 1995
- International Seminar for Comparative Labour Law, Industrial Relations and Social Security. Szeged, Hungary, August 5–20, 1996
- Labour Law and Labour Reality in MOE States. Berlin, Germany, December 2–6, 1996
- University of Münster, March-April 2007
- University of Humboldt Berlin, Germany, Alexander v Humboldt Foundation and Hertie Foundation Scholarship, March 2003–August 2004
- Freie Universität Berlin, Thomas Berberich Foundation, July–August, 2002.
- University of Münster, Germany, Konrad Adenauer Foundation scholarship, October 2000–2001
- University of Münster, Germany, September–October 1999
- University of Kiel, Germany, Stadt-Kiel-Stipendium scholarship, April–August 1998
- University of Helsinki, Finland, Nordic Council of Ministers scholarship, February–May 1995
- University of Uppsala, Sweden, Open Estonia Foundation scholarship, November–December 1994
Hobbies and community work
- Track and Field Athletics, Music
- Rückkehr-Stipendium from Alexander v. Humboldt Foundation and Hertie Foundation, Research Topic Information and Consultation of Employees in Undertakings 2005–2006
- Open Estonia Foundation Competition for Legal Studies. Awards 1994, 1995, 1996
- Estonian Academy of Science, I Award, 1996
- Comparative Labour Law
- International Social Security Law
- Labour Law
- Social Security Law
- Legal Bases of Social Work I and II
- Selected Problems of Social Security Law
- Social Security Law for Nursing Science
- Seminars on Labour Law
- Labour Law for Public Health (for Master Students)
- Law for Business Management
- G. Tavits. Protection, Involvement and Adaption. European Labour Law in Time of Crisis, Restructuring and Transition: Estonia Country Report, 2010.
- G. Tavits. Töölepingu sõlmimine ja tühistamine. Eesti Majanduse Teataja, 2009, 10, 27-34.
- G. Tavits. Estland: Der Dualismus von Vertrauenspersonen. Peter Jansen; Otmar Seul (Ed.). Das erweiterte Europa: Arbeitnehmerbeteiligung an der Entscheidungsfindung im Unternehmen (345-264). Bern: Peter Lang Europäischer Verlag der Wissenschaften, 2009.
- G. Tavits. Problems in Application of the Law of Obligations to Employment Relationships in Estonia. Mitrus, Leszek (Toim.). Studia z zakresu prawa pracy in polityki spolecznej. Krakow, Rocznik: Uniwersytet Jagiellonski, 2009, pp. 533-543.
- G. Tavits. Entwicklung der modernen Kommunikationsmittel und ihr Einfluss auf die Arbeitsverhältnisse. Rechtstheorie, 2007, 38(2/3), S. 239-252.
- G. Tavits. Betriebsübergang in Estland. C. Kühl, C. (Ed.). Betriebsübergang in Mittel, Ost- und SüdostEuropa. BayME - Schriftenreihe International, 2007, S. 106-125.
- G. Tavits. Tööandja vastutus töösuhtes. Võlaõiguse kohaldamine töösuhtes. G. Tavits (toim.). Töösuhete käsiraamat (10 - 20). Tallinn: Äripäeva käsiraamatute kirjastus, 2007.
- G. Tavits (co-author). Labour Law. Lessons for Students. 3rd. ed. Tallinn, Juura, 2006 (in Estonian).
- G. Tavits, H. Raidve, R. Mägi, R. Antsmäe. Handbook for Labour Relations, Äripäeva Publishing House, 2006 (in Estonian).
- G. Tavits. Social Security Law. Lessons for Students, Tallinn, Juura, 2006 (in Estonian).
- G. Tavits. Social Protection of Migrant Workers in European Union. Tallinn, Juura, 2004 (in Estonian).
- G. Tavits. Arbeitsrecht der Europäischen Union und dessen Umsetzung in neuen Mitgliedstaaten – estnisches Beispiel. EU-Vision der Türkei und ihre Widerspiegelung auf die Deutsch-Türkischen Beziehungen, Humboldt-Kolleg, Istanbul 2004, pp. 27–28.
- G. Tavits. Atypische Arbeitsverhältnisse und Europäisches Arbeitsrecht. Arbeitsrecht im vereinigten Europa, Vilnius 2004, pp. 80–92.
- G.Tavits (co-author). Labour Law. Lessons for Students. 2nd ed. Tallinn, Juura, 2003 (in Estonian).
- G. Tavits (co–author). Labour Law. Tartu: Iuridicum Foundation, 2001. 238 p. (in Estonian).
- G. Tavits. Die Abgrenzung des Anwendungsgebiets des Arbeitsrechts durch die Begriffe des Arbeitnehmers, Arbeitgerbers und Arbeitvertrages. Tartu: TU Verlag, 2001 (Dissertationes iuridicae universitatis Tartuensis 4). 174 S.
- L. Paclikova, J. Swabey, G. Tavits. Central and Eastern European Framework Reports 2000: Estonia. Belgium: Watson Wyatt Worldwide, pp. 1–35.
- G. Tavits. Child Allowances as a Socio-political Measure to Support Families with Children. – M. Ainsaar. Children’s and Family Policy in Estonia and in Europe. Tartu: Office of Minister of Population, 2000, pp. 59–80.
- G. Tavits. Area of Application of Estonian Labour Law. TEISE, 1999, 33(3), Mokslo darbai, Vilniaus universiteto leidykla, 1999, pp. 67–76.
- G. Tavits, U. Marksoo. Labour Law Regulation in CEE-States and Conflict Resolution Mechanisms – Country Reports: Republic of Estonia. – Labour Law and Labour Reality in the CEE-States: Operative Labour Law as a Condition for Social Peace. DVGN-Texte 47. I. Schramm, (ed.), Bonn, 1998, pp. 47–53.
- I.-M. Orgo, H. Siigur, G. Tavits. Employment Contracts Act. Commented Edition. 3rd amended Edition. Tallinn: Juura Õigusteabe AS, 1997, 142 p. (in Estonian).
- I.-M. Orgo, H. Siigur, G. Tavits. Employment Contracts Act. Commented Edition. 2nd amended Edition. Tallinn: Juura Õigusteabe AS, 1996, 143 p. (in Estonian).
- Estonian (Native)
- English (Good)
- Russian (Good)
- German (Good)