Articles in Juridica International
Priit Pikamäe, Jaan Sootak.
Die schuldhafte strafrechtliche Verantwortung der juristischen Person. Theoretische Grundlagen und estnische Gerichtspraxis, Juridica International, 2012, No. 1, pp. 154-160
Der Begriff des Vorsatzes im Strafrecht und die psychologische Behandlung des Willens, Juridica International, 2003, No. 1, pp. 80-88
Priit Pikamäe, Jaan Sootak.
Einheit der verfassungsmässigen Rechtsordnung: Entscheidungen und Lösungen im Strafrecht, Juridica International, 2002, No. 1, pp. 127-137
Articles in Juridica
- How to Assign Death? On Some Problems Concerning the Imputability of Death Caused by Acts of Violence, Juridica Abstract, 2013, No. 8, pp. 565-577
- Difficulties in Defining the General Offence of Fraud in Court Practice, Juridica Abstract, 2011, No. 2, pp. 129-138
- Who is an Authorized Representative of a Legal Person for the Purposes of Section 14 of the Penal Code?, Juridica Abstract, 2010, No. 1, pp. 3-10
- A Selection of Decisions of the Criminal Chamber of the Supreme Court in the Interpretation and Development of Law, Juridica Abstract, 2009, No. 8, pp. 540-554
- State of Emotional Disturbance. Problems in Estonian Penal Law and Court Practice, Juridica Abstract, 2006, No. 9, pp. 591–600
- In Search of the Sources and Boundaries of Knowing. Problems in Penal Law Associated with Marking the Boundaries of Intent, Juridica Abstract, 2006, No. 4, pp. 262–272
- Problems With the Special Part of the Penal Code: Legal Policy Solutions and Future Development, Juridica Abstract, 2005, No. 2, pp. 84–93
- Defining Joint Offence: the Penal Code and the Case Law of the Supreme Court, Juridica Abstract, 2003, No. 3, pp. 143–150
- The Definition of Intent in Penal Law and the Psychological Treatment of Intention, Juridica Abstract, 2002, No. 2, pp. 75–81
- Deliberate Intent, and Direct and Indirect Intent in the Penal Code, Juridica Abstract, 2001, No. 7, pp. 456–463
- Attempted Offence and Abandonment of Attempt under the Penal Code, Juridica Abstract, 2001, No. 7, pp. 464–474
- Points of Departure for the New Estonian Code of Criminal Procedure, Juridica Abstract, 2000, No. 9, pp. 555–563
- International Criminal Court and Estonia, Juridica Abstract, 2000, No. 3, pp. 190–196
- Italian Criminal Procedure as a Possible Model for Reforming Estonian Criminal Procedure, Juridica Abstract, 1999, No. 2, pp. 82–86
- Criminal Law Eeform in Russia in 1996, Juridica Abstract, 1998, No. 5, pp. 235–238
- Estonia's Chances for Survival in the European Union, Juridica Abstract, 1995, No. 8, pp. 351–355
- Application of International Agreements in the Legal System of Estonia, Juridica Abstract, 1995, No. 8, pp. 343–344
- Legal Education in France, Juridica Abstract, 1995, No. 7, pp. 317–320
- Chief Justice, Supreme Court of the Republic of Estonia
- Born: November 22, 1973, Tallinn
- E-mail: email@example.com
- Doctor iuris, Faculty of Law, University of Tartu, 2006
- Magister iuris, Faculty of Law, University of Tartu, 2001
- Master Student, University of Tartu, 2000–2001
- B.A., University of Tartu, 1997
- Chief Justice, Supreme Court of the Republic of Estonia, 2013-current
- Justice, Supreme Court of the Republic of Estonia, 2005-2013
- Assistant (Part-time), Faculty of Law, University of Tartu, 2000–2004
- Head of Criminal Law Department, Ministry of Justice of the Republic of Estonia, 1996–current
- Head of 7. Bureau, Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Estonia, 1995–1996
- Head of Legal Department, Citizenship and Immigration Board, 1994
Main areas of research
- Intention in Criminal Law (Psychological Aspects), Alternatives of Criminal Procedure, Correctional Law
Grants and projects
- Estonian Science Foundation (ETF) Grant No. 3998 for Project: Estonian Penal Policy: from Totalitarian to Democratic Criminal Law. Grant holder J. Sootak with R. Antsmäe, J. Ginter, S. Laos, P. Randma, 1999–2000
Professional activity and membership
- Foreign Member of Editorial Board, Revue Pénitentiaire et de Droit Pénal. Éditions Cujas, Paris, 1999–current
- Founding Member of Estonian Association for Criminal Justice and Legal Protection of Financial Interests of the European Union, 1999–current
- Member of the Estonian Lawyers Union, 1993–current
- University of Paris I (Pantheon-Sorbonne) and University of Poitiers, France, 1997
- University of Poitiers, France, 1994–1995
Hobbies and community work
- General Part of Criminal Law (seminars)
- Code of Criminal Procedure. Commented Edition. Compiled by E. Kergandberg, P. Pikamäe. Tallinn: Juura, 2012. 1136 p. (in Estonian).
- Penal Code. Commented Edition. 3rd ed., compiled by P. Pikamäe, J. Sootak. Tallinn: Juura, 2009. 1144 p. (in Estonian).
- Penal Code. Commented Edition. 2nd ed., compiled by P. Pikamäe, J. Sootak. Tallinn: Juura, 2004. 892 p. (in Estonian).
- Penal Code. Commented Edition. Compiled by P. Pikamäe, J. Sootak. Tallinn: Juura, 2002. 772 p. (in Estonian).
- P. Pikamäe, J. Sootak. Estonian Criminal Law: Reform as a Path to Independence. – European Journal of Crime, Criminal Law and Criminal Justice (Kluwer Law International), 2000, Vol 8/1, pp. 61–78.
- M. Ernits, P. Pikamäe, E. Samson, J. Sootak. Draft General Part of the Penal Code. Points of Departure and Substantiation. Tallinn: Juura Õigusteabe AS, 1999, 166 p. (in Estonian).
- P. Pikamäe, J. Sootak. La reforme du droit pénal estonien: la voie vers l‘indépendance. – Revue Pénitentiaire et de Droit Pénal 1999 (Paris: Edition Cujas), No 2, pp. 193–216.
- Estonian (Native)
- French (Fluent)
- English (Good)
- Russian (Good)
- German (Fair)