- Judge, Court of Justice of the European Communities
Visiting Professor of the University of Tartu
- Born: October 30, 1952, Mõisaküla
- Ph.D., University of Leningrad, 1986
- Faculty of Law, University of Tartu, 1976
- Judge, Court of Justice of the European Communities, May 2004–current
- Chief Justice, Supreme Court of the Republic of Estonia, November 1998–April 2004
- Visiting professor of the University of Tartu, 2000–current
- Judge, European Court of Human Rights, 1994–1998
- Attorney-at-law, 1977–1998
- Docent, Faculty of Law, University of Tartu, 1986–1998
- Senior Lecturer, Faculty of Law, University of Tartu, 1985–1986
Main areas of research
- Criminal Law, Human Rights, Constitutional Law
Grants and projects
- Estonian Law Centre Foundation (ELC) project: Constitutional Law Institute. Member of the Council, 2001–current
- Estonian Law Centre Foundation (ELC), Open Estonia Foundation (OEF) and Constitutional and Legal Policy Institute (COLPI, Hungary) Project: Restricting Corruption in a Transformation Society (Legal Aspect). Member of the Steering Committee, 1999–2002
Professional activity and membership
- Member of the Consultative Council of European Judges, 2000–current
- Founding Member of the Estonian Academic Law Society (EAÕS), 1988–current
- Chairman of the Council of Estonian Law Centre Foundation (ELC), 1998–2003
- Member of the Estonian section of International Law Association, 1998–current
- Member of the Expert Missions of the Council of Europe in Ukraine, 2000
- Consultant to the Committee Drafting the Criminal Code, 1996–2000
- Member of the Expert Committee of the Constitution of Estonia, 1996–1998
- Member of the Estonian Bar Association, 1977–1998
Participation in scientific conferences and seminars
- Protection of Human Rights in Europe and in Estonia, Tallinn, April 5–6, 2001
- Constitutional Law in Baltic States, Riga, Latvia, March 8, 2001
- Judicial Reform in Ukraine, Kiev, Ukraine, March 2, 2001
- Modern Constitutionalism and Constitutional Justice, Odessa, Russia, October, 2000
Hobbies and community work
- Member of the Lions Club
- Participation in Crime, Human Rights
- On Fundamental Rights in Criminal Procedure. Tallinn: Juura, 2012. 224 p. (in Estonian).
- Constitution of the Republic of Estonia. Commented Edition. 2nd ed. U. Lõhmus et al. Tallinn: Juura, 2008. 885 p. (in Estonian).
- Constitutional Review. Supreme Court Decisions 1993-2004. Compiled by U. Lõhmus. Tallinn: Juura, 2004. 752 p. (in Estonian).
- Human Rights and Their Protection in Europe. Compiled by U.Lõhmus. Tartu: Iuridicum Foundation, 2003. 416 p. (in Estonian).
- Constitution of the Republic of Estonia. Commented Edition, A.Allmann, T. Annus, M. Ernits, H.Lindpere, U. Lõhmus, O. Kask, E. Kergandberg, K. Land, L. Lehis, J. Liventaal, L. Madise, Ü.Madise, E. Markvart, R. Maruste, K. Merusk, A. Mõttus, R.Narits, V. Olle, P. Pruks, H. Pisuke, J.Põld, A. Reenumägi, U. Reinsalu, P.Roosma, M. Ruttu, V. Saarmets, H. Schneider, E.-J. Truuväli. Tallinn: Juura, 2002. 758 p. (in Estonian).
- U. Lõhmus. Judicial Independence and Judicial Administration. – Riigikogu Toimetised (Journal of the Estonian Parliament), 2001, No. 3 pp.87–96 (in Estonian).
- U. Lõhmus. A Critical Analysis of the Constitution Arising from the Practice of Constitutional Review. – Riigikogu Toimetised (Journal of the Estonian Parliament), 2000, No. 1, pp. 77–82 (in Estonian).
- U. Lõhmus. On the Style of Judgements of Supreme Courts of Different Countries. – Õigus Teada, 1999, No. 2 (in Estonian).
- U. Lõhmus (co-author). Compatibility of Estonian Law with the Requirements of the European Convention on Human Rights. Council of Europe, Strasbourg, 1996.
Articles in Juridica
- Non-mainstream Thoughts about Objective and Legitimacy of Criminal Procedure, Juridica Abstract, 2013, No. 3, pp. 201-209
- Fundamental Rights and General Principles of EU Law: Functions, Scope and Range, Juridica Abstract, 2011, No. 9, pp. 639-651
- Amendment of the Constitution and Changes in the Constitution, Juridica Abstract, 2011, No. 1, pp. 12-26
- Administration of the Judiciary under the Courts Act Bill, Juridica Abstract, 2010, No. 2, pp. 75-85
- The Principle of Ne Bis In Idem in European Union Law, Juridica Abstract, 2009, No. 9, pp. 584-594
- The First Requests by the Estonian Courts for a Preliminary Ruling Have Been Answered: Judgment of the European Court of Justice in Case C-241/07 (JK Otsa Talu) and C-560/07 (Balbiino), Juridica Abstract, 2009, No. 5, pp. 321-327
- The Principle of ne bis in idem. Judgment of the European Court of Human Rights of 10 February 2009 in the Сase of Sergey Zolotukhin v. Russia, Juridica Abstract, 2009, No. 3, pp. 143-147
- Thoughts on Citizenship in Light of One Judgment, Juridica Abstract, 2009, No. 2, pp. 76-85
- Interception of Communication and the Right to Confidentiality of Correspondence Provided for in the Estonian Constitution, Juridica Abstract, 2008, No. 7, pp. 462–472
- Confidential Relationship Between Lawyer and Client, and ts Limits, Juridica Abstract, 2007, No. 9, pp. 608–618
- How Do the Court Systems of Member States Ensure the Efficient Functioning of European Union Law? Juridica Abstract, 2007, No. 3, pp. 143–154
- European Union Legal System and Constitutional Supervision After 1 May 2004, Juridica Abstract, 2006, No. 1, pp. 3–16
- Imitating Crime. May the State Provoke Crime?, Juridica Abstract, 2005, No. 4, pp. 223–230
- What Should Be Done With the Constitution?, Juridica Abstract, 2005, No. 2, pp. 75–83
- Election Coalition and Right to Be Elected, Juridica Abstract, 2003, No. Special Issue, pp. 27–31
- Professor Ilmar Rebane (04.08.1912 – 13.06.1995), Juridica Abstract, 2002, No. 5, pp. 350–351
- Aliens and the Right to Respect for Private and Family life, Juridica Abstract, 2000, No. 7, pp. 415–426
- Dear Reader, Juridica Abstract, 1999, No. 9, p. 413
- Generally Recognised Principles of International Law as Part of the Estonian Legal System, Juridica Abstract, 1999, No. 9, pp. 425–430
- Courts at the Turn of the Century, Juridica Abstract, 1999, No. 1, pp. 10–12
- Dear Reader, Juridica Abstract, 1998, No. 7, p. 325
- Current State of Criminal Law Reform, Juridica Abstract, 1997, No. 9, pp. 445–447
- Crimes Connected with Bankruptcy, Juridica Abstract, 1994, No. 1, pp. 21–23
- Trustee in Bankruptcy, Juridica Abstract, 1994, No .1, pp. 13–16
- Bankruptcy Crimes, Juridica Abstract, 1993, No. 2, p. 31
- Estonian (Native)
- English (Good)
- Russian (Good)